Lord Nageshwara Jyotirlinga
Histroy of Lord Nageshwara Jyotirlinga
- Lord Shiva appeared in the form of Jyothirlinga with the name Nageshwar and Mata Parvati was known as Nageshwari.
- Daruka Vana is a forest situated in Dwarka, Gujarat. According to ancient scripture of Shiva Purana Lord Nageshwara is located in Darukavana and the forest was carrying different names as Kamyakavana, Dvaitavana, Dandakavana, Darukavana.
- Once a Demon by name Daruk attacked the devotee of Lord Shiva by name Supriya. First he resisted the domineering and oppression attitude but was kept in prison by Demon King Daruk along with other humankind of Darukavana.
- This is a place which is inhabited under the sea with ever-liberated living beings of sea snakes and other demon kind asuras. The devotee Supriya, as if nothing went wrong continued her Puja started worshiping Lord Shiva applying the Holy Ash and a necklace of Rudraksha Seeds, strongly exhorted other prisoners too to chant the holy mantra of Lord Shiva “Om Nama Shivaaya”.
- Demon Daruk was terribly angry against all this and warned the devotee Supriya and other prisoners, but everyone continued calling and reciting Lord Shiva, Lord Shiva. There appeared as radiated light with snakes as garland, instantly vanquished the Demon who got reduced to ashes as dust.
- Once the wife of the demon by name Daruka was a staunch worshiper of Goddess Parvati was made the master of the forest “Darukavana” by Goddess Paravti.
- Wherever Daruk moved the forest moves with her. Daruk in order to save the demons from the punishment of Gods she consolidated all the powers received from Goddess Parvati and moved the entire forest under the sea and continued their domineering and torturing activities kidnapping the humankind and kept them in prison under the sea. Subsequently the devotee of Lord Shiva by name Supriya have arrived at this place was also confined under the sea.
- He setup a Lingam in this place and made the prisoners to recite the Lord Shiva mantra “Om Nama Shivaaya”, but in response the demons want to kill Supriya was terribly disappointed when Lord Shiva appeared, blessed Supriya with a divine energy which saved him from the kill by Demons.
- Henceforth Daruk and Demons were defeated and Goddess Parvati saved the other demons who were servicing Daruk. Lord Shiva aboded in this place in the form of another Jyotirlinga.
- The Lingam which was setup by Supriya was given a name as “Nagesha” which is the tenth incarnation of Jyotirlinga and Goddess Parvati is called as “Goddess Nageshwari” and Lord Shiva as Lord Nageshwara Jyotirlinga blessed devotees with all prosperity and agreed to show the right path of Dharma for those who follow him and worship.
Traits of Lord Nageshwara Jyotirlinga
- Lord Nageshwara is Lord of Snakes, garland with Snakes
- Worshiped by Lord Krishna performing Rudrabhisekam to Lord of Nagas, Lord Shiva
- He is revered as Lord Darulawane Nagesh according to Sri Rudra Phrases of Samhita
- Darukavana is the vital source of Energy of Lord Shiva and great glory to hear his origin
- Lord Nageshwara Jyotirlinga is facing south in this place of worship and Gomugam facing east. This is due to the legacy of a true devotion by Lord Shiva devotee saying that God is everywhere and he resides in all directions.
- The Lord is popularly revered as Dwaraka Shila with three small chakras inscribed in it. The Jyotirlinga is in oval shape looks like three Mukhi Rudraksha.
Benefits of Performing Lord Nageshwara Jyothirlinga Homam
- Provides relief from all Sorrows and Miseries in Life, Bestow Prosperity
- Relieve Sins, Overcome Fear of Death, Guide the path to Moksha
- Remove all confusions, struggles, hurdles, Bestow mental stability, Clarity of mind
- Remove Poisonous Infections, Bless Abundant Knowledge, Wisdom, Long life
- Destroy Mental stress, Promote Good Health, Joy, Happiness