Skanda Sashti is one of the most prominent festivals celebrated in India. This festivity occurs in the waning period of the moon and the waxing frame of the Moon. Skanda Sashti is observed on the sixth day of the distinguished lunar fortnight.
Significance of Skanda Sashti
- Skanda Sashti finds great importance in our mythology. Skanda is the son of supreme Lord Shiva and Parvati. To elevate the mighty powers of God Kartikeya, Skanda Sashti is observed.
- The fiesta marks the magical powers of Lord Muruga. He is known for finishing demons and negativity from the earth. He is a great God who is worshipped for his supreme powers of abolishing evil.
- Once, he killed a dangerous demon known as Soorapadam and to celebrate this great day, Skanda Sashti is celebrated.
Rituals of Skanda Sashti
- Devotees keep a fast to please Lord Muruga on Skanda Sashti. He is offered special food preparations. Devotees worship him by doing abhishekam from thoroughly cleaned water or rose water. The lamp of ghee is lit to glorify the positive energies of Lord Muruga. The mantras are recited to please the Lord Muruga, and devotees bestow prayers to him.
- Fasting is undoubtedly a significant part of the Skanda Sashti celebrations. To commemorate the great festival of Skanda Sashti, six days fast is kept by the devotees.
- The series of fasts begin from the Prathama ritual, which starts after the new moon in the Diwali phase. The fast begins at sunrise, and it is broken only on the following morning’s light. For six days, Lord Murugan is worshipped. There are various types of rules which one should diligently follow during Skanda Sashti fasting. The most crucial point to remember is that one should abstain from eating non-vegetarian food. It is considered inauspicious to take non-veg during the festivity of Skanda Sashti.
- Make sure you are eating only sattvic food, which is pure. There are two types of fasting observed during Skanda Sashti. Devotees either opt for a complete fast in which they do not take anything and just focus on impressing Lord Muruga. They begin their fast on Pratham day’s sunrise and finish on the upcoming day’s morning. In another fasting type, worshippers can have fruits and milk items in the fasting phase.
- One of the most notable facts about Skanda Sashti is that fasting doesn’t only mean avoiding food consumption. It also signifies thorough cleanliness of mindset. Devotees practice cleanliness of the soul and curbs all the negative energies from their heart. Meditation and concentration in praise of Lord Muruga also take place on Skanda Sashti. Devotees also recite Skanda Sashti kavacham to mark the implication of supreme Lord Muruga.
Boons of celebrating Skanda Sashti
There are a good number of godsends of celebrating Skanda Sashti
- Lord Muruga represents the energies of the planet Mars. Those suffering from mars obstacles can observe the fast on Skanda Sashti to get rid of the dosha.
- The Skanda Sashti festival brings optimism and hopes to one’s life.
- Skanda Sashti is a very pious occasion, and those suffering from prolonged pain can get rid of it.
- Lord Muruga blesses his true and dedicated worshippers with happiness and prosperity.
- Worshippers of Lord Muruga gain the stable powers to remove malefic effects and negative energies from life.
- Skanda Sashti is a great occasion to reminisce about the good side of life. People observe this day as the symbolic day when negativity ends.
- Skanda Sashti festival brings consensus and tranquillity to devotee’s lives.
Skanda Sashti is undoubtedly a wonderful festival. One must celebrate it with great affection and zeal.
Also Visit: Lord Muruga Homam: http://www.vedicfolks.com/finance/karma- remedies/homam-/muruga-homam-.html